Do you need tips for metabolism support? Are you feeling sluggish coming out of holiday mode and trying to find your groove so you can finish the year strong? Often after long periods of stress and comfort eating, the metabolism needs a reset.
To have long term success maintaining a healthy weight, you must support your metabolism. By the time we turn 40, many of us need a metabolic reset. The reset is necessary due to fad dieting, GMO’s, chemicals & hormones in our food, diet sugar chemicals and stress. All this tends to shut the metabolism down and drive up cortisol, increasing your body’s desire to hold onto fat.
Staying lean and having long term success is a by-product of mental and physical wellness. When I treat my clients, I always go back to the root causes of obesity and reset those. This always has a knock-on effect of resetting your metabolism and your relationship with food.
When I treat a client, I look at them holistically from our 7 Pillars of Wellness, so I know exactly what areas to target, fast-tracking their results so they can shift into the best version of themselves.
Support Metabolism with my Metabolism Reset Protocol
As a naturopath for over 23 years, I have developed a metabolism reset protocol. Often, many clients come to me eating well, exercising and trying their best, but their metabolism is letting them down.
Like a car, you need optimum fuel from your food, but equally as important is how your 11 systems function. I used these principles to heal myself from eating disorders to live lean and not be a slave to food. This has become one of my passions: to help others get free from eating disorders.
When it comes to your diet, your brain needs glucose to function, but that doesn’t mean you need to carb load – quite the opposite! The average adult gets enough from the carbs in fruits and vegetables. Creating a carb deficit by reducing complex carbs from rice, potato and pasta give your body a chance to use your fat as fuel instead.
Metabolism Support To Get and Stay Lean
Here are my top 8 tips on how to support your metabolism so you can get lean and stay lean;
- Chew your food by simply chewing each mouthful 20 times will support gut function and encourage a good gut-brain axis relationship, so you don’t overeat.
- Drink 2L of wellness water a day. I find this to be key, and I have my clients make up 2L of water with lemon, ginger, cinnamon & fresh mint leaves each day, which hydrates at a cellular level and balances your blood sugar levels. (See the detailed Wellness Water Recipe)
- Reduce inflammation. It’s not about calorie counting but the optimum fuel mix of protein, fats and carb ratios. So eat more plants and less animals and choose wild fish or organic chicken, reducing red meat. Eat more green veggies and good fats like olives, avocado and seeds. If you’re not into your green vegetables, you can always supplement with a Super Greens Powder like our Rejuv or WelleCo super greens, The Super Elixir.
- Support gut health by increasing foods high in fibre to support your gut microbiome. Such foods include vegetables, salads, chia and flaxseeds, psyllium, sauerkraut and organic kefir. If you are not great with these foods, you can always add 1-2 Rejuv Prebiotic Immune Complex Capsules before each meal to help keep you full and boost your fibre.
- Be mindful and balance your stress by embracing a morning ritual for 10-15 minutes each morning. Breathing techniques, affirmations, prayer, gratitude and meditation, will calm your nervous system, reducing the amount of time you spend in fight or flight and allow the body to trust you that it is safe to reduce fat and that you don’t need this protective layer for you’re in danger.
If you feel that you have an issue with this, then adding in adaptogenic herbs would be great to help reduce the effect of stress has on your metabolism. I recommend adding 2 Rejuv Adrenal Complex Capsules before breakfast or lunch – it will be a tremendous help!
- Increase thermogenic foods and herbs such as chill, cayenne, ginger, garlic, cloves, and green tea to boost your metabolism naturally. I’ve also developed vegan supplements in my Rejuv Wellness line to help reset your metabolism.
- Move your body and add in internal training & HIIT training for these intense bursts to help re-set the metabolism. Core and Barre work is also great such as The Oona Series, and you can join up for two weeks for free to see if you love it (I do these classes 3 x a week, and I love how they have sculptured my body).
- Get good restorative sleep, for if you don’t rest and detox from the day you just had, then you’re cortisol levels will be too high, making it particularly hard to shift belly fat. Sleep before midnight is worth twice as much as sleep after midnight, so try to get in bed no later than 11 pm. Try a sleep app/mediation, Epsom salt baths and our WelleCo Sleep Welle Tea to create a deep sleep routine.
If you feel you have a sluggish metabolism and you’re not sure where to start, do our FREE Rejuv Wellness Quiz, which will pinpoint the top Wellness Pillars you need to work on so you can enjoy long-lasting wellbeing.