Gluten-Free Chocolate Protein Bars with Oats & Coconut
Need a wholesome snack for you or your kids? This nutritious gluten-free chocolate protein bar recipe is based on WelleCommunity contributor Ashley Alexander’s recipe (Gather + Feast), and it only takes 15 minutes to make. It is suitable for vegans and it is nut-, sugar- and dairy-free.
THE GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE PROTEIN BARS
- 4 scoops WelleCo. The Super Kids Elixir + Protein or the Super Elixir for adults
- 120g (2 cups) shredded coconut toasted (you could also use desiccated or flaked coconut)
- 80g (1 cup) gluten-free rolled oats
- 70g (1/2 cup) sunflower seeds
- 30g (1/4 cup) hemp seeds (optional)
- 350g pitted Medjool dates, roughly 16-18 (or use packet pitted dates soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes, then drained)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 120g (1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons) hulled tahini (you could also use almond, cashew, or peanut butter)
THE PROTEIN BAR TOPPINGS (OPTIONAL)
- 80g vegan milk chocolate or dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon hemp or pumpkin seeds
METHOD FOR MAKING THE GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE PROTEIN BARS
- In a food processor, add the coconut, oats, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, dates, vanilla, salt, tahini, and WelleCo The Super Kids Elixir + Protein or the Super Elixir.
- Pulse and blend the mash until fine crumbs form. Continue mixing until the crumbs begin to cling together at the bottom of the mixer. The mixture is ready if it holds together when pressing it in your hands.
- Pour the blend into a paper-lined 27cm x 17cm brownie pan. Press the mixture down firmly and thoroughly with your palms. Once set, this helps hold the Gluten-Free Chocolate bars together and creates a delightful, dense texture.
- Place the pan into the freezer for a few hours to set (or leave overnight). Remove the pan from the freezer and cut the mixture into bars or small squares. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with hemp or pumpkin seeds (optional).
You can store the Gluten-Free Chocolate Protein Bars in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.