Heavy metals, such as lead, cadmium, mercury, and arsenic, are environmental pollutants that can contaminate air, water, and soil. Add to this toxins and herbicides like Glyphosate, found in many weed killers.
We always walk a client through the subtle ways our environments make us more toxic as environment is one of the Seven Pillars of Wellness that impact your overall health and wellness.
Most of us know of the big players, but many are unaware of the small daily rituals that increase our overall toxic load, leading to inflammation and disease.
The Effects Of Human Heavy Metal Exposure
Human exposure to these metals can occur through various means, including consumption of contaminated food, water, and inhalation of polluted air. Once inside the body, heavy metals can interfere with various physiological processes.
Studies have linked heavy metal exposure to metabolic disturbances, insulin resistance, and inflammation.
Disruptions May Impact Metabolism
These disruptions can potentially contribute to the development of obesity or exacerbate existing weight-related issues. For example, some heavy metals may interfere with the functioning of adipose tissue (fat cells) or disrupt hormones involved in metabolism.
It's important to note that research in this area is still ongoing, and findings may vary. Obesity is a complex condition influenced by a combination of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors. Heavy metal exposure is just one of many potential contributors to obesity and other metabolic disorders.
Are You Eating Glyphosate Herbicides?
Another environmental hazard causing serious health issues is Glyphosate. Glyphosate is a widely used herbicide and the active ingredient in many weed-killing products.
It has been a subject of controversy and concern regarding its potential impact on human health. Research is now showing that it is often the glyphosate sprayed on wheat gluten more so than the gluten itself as to why many are having such huge IBS reactions to gluten.
That is why choosing organic wheat/ gluten products, and any grain for that matter is absolutely vital, especially for our children.
MTHFR - The Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase Gene
Add to this the next layer with 1 in 5 in the USA now diagnosed with the MTHFR gene that stops your ability to methylate and convert folic acid causing HUGE knock on effects on your health (more about that next week).
The Effects Of Heavy Metals & Glyphosate On Your Health
Here are some key points related to the effects of heavy metals and glyphosate on your health:
- Neurological Effect Heavy metals like lead and mercury and herbicides like glyphosate can accumulate in the nervous system and have neurotoxic effects. This can lead to cognitive and behavioural problems, especially in children.
- Renal (Kidney) Damage Cadmium, lead, mercury and herbicides like glyphosate are known to cause damage to the kidneys. Chronic exposure to these metals may lead to kidney dysfunction and other related health issues.
- Cardiovascular Effects Some studies suggest a link between exposure to certain heavy metals and and herbicides like glyphosate with cardiovascular diseases. For example, chronic exposure to lead has been associated with hypertension and an increased risk of heart disease.
- Reproductive Issues Heavy metals, particularly lead and mercury and herbicides like glyphosate, can have adverse effects on reproductive health. They may interfere with fertility, cause developmental issues during pregnancy, and contribute to birth defects.
- Gastrointestinal Problems Ingesting or inhaling heavy metals and ingesting herbicides like glyphosate can lead to gastrointestinal issues. Acute exposure may cause nausea, IBS, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
- Hepatic (Liver) Effects Certain heavy metals and herbicides like glyphosate, such as cadmium, can accumulate in the liver and contribute to liver damage over time which also has a direct link to obesity, eating disorders and blood sugar issues.
- Immunotoxicity Chronic exposure to heavy metals and herbicides may suppress the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to infections, viruses and other health issues.
- Carcinogenicity Some heavy metals, like arsenic and cadmium, have been classified as carcinogens by organisations such as the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
Strategies To Reduce The Impact Of Heavy Metals, Toxins & Herbicides
So what can you do to remove heavy metals and toxins like glyphosate?
Here are my top 8 tips.
Detoxification of heavy metals from the body is a complex process and should be approached with caution. Here are some general strategies that may help support the body's natural detoxification mechanisms:
- Avoid Heavy Metal Exposure The first step in detoxifying from heavy metals is to minimise exposure to them. This includes avoiding contaminated food, water, and air, as well as reducing exposure to products containing heavy metals, such as certain cosmetics, pesticides, and household items. This is why opting for organic is key.
- Eat a Nutrient-Rich Diet Consuming a diet rich in antioxidants and nutrients can support the body's detoxification processes. Foods high in antioxidants, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, help neutralise free radicals and reduce oxidative stress. Additionally, foods rich in sulphur, containing amino acids, such as garlic, onions, and cruciferous vegetables, can support the production of glutathione, a powerful antioxidant involved in detoxification.
- Stay Hydrated Drinking plenty of water helps flush toxins from the body through urine and sweat. Ensure that you're drinking clean, filtered water to avoid additional exposure to contaminants and make sure your water is bioavailable like with our Rejuv Wellness water recipe.
- Support Liver Health The liver plays a crucial role in detoxification, including the metabolism and elimination of heavy metals. Supporting liver function through a healthy diet, adequate hydration, regular exercise, and avoiding excessive alcohol consumption can help optimise detoxification processes. Herbs are also really powerful to help the liver detoxify and why I created our vegan Liver Support capsules.
- Incorporate Detoxifying Herbs & Supplements Certain herbs and supplements may support detoxification processes. Examples include artichoke, which supports liver health, and chlorella or spirulina, which helps bind to heavy metals and facilitate their removal from the body. All of these ingredients are actually synergistically combined in our Heavy Metal Detox capsules but to take this one step further for a thorough detox you can opt for our Detox Pack with comes with a free wellness protocol.
- Practice FIR Sauna Therapy Sweating through sauna therapy can help eliminate toxins, including heavy metals, through the skin. My favourite sauna that I personally use four times a week is this FiR Sauna from Therasage. Not only is it non-toxic but it has added Natural Earth Element Full Spectrum Infrared heating and red light panels with added Tourmaline gemstones to boost negative ions. By combining this FIR Sauna with our Rejuv Detox Pack I have see hundreds of clients blood tests change and shift into optimum levels.
- Consult with a Healthcare Professional If you suspect heavy metal toxicity or are considering detoxification measures, it's crucial to consult with a qualified healthcare professional, such as naturopath, or consider our Detox pack created by myself so you are taken safely and effectively through this detox process.
- Determine your top 3 Wellness Pillars Take our Free Wellness Quiz to determine the top 3 Wellness Pillars you need to focus on providing you with a wellness profile and road map for your bespoke wellness journey.
It's important to note that detoxification from heavy metals and toxins is a gradual process, and individual responses may vary.
Additionally, detoxification measures should be undertaken cautiously and under appropriate supervision, especially in cases of chronic heavy metal exposure or toxicity.
As always we are here if you need us.
I’m a Featured Expert In The Heavy Series
The Heavy Series, also known as The Heavy Movie, is a documentary about cleansing heavy metals and other toxins from your body.
The goal of the documentary is to alert you to toxins in the world around you – including in the food you eat, the water you drink, and the air you breathe – and explain how to release those toxins from your body.
The Heavy Series is a nine-part documentary series focusing on heavy metals, toxins, and other problems that accumulate in your body over time.
Throughout the multi-episode series, you’ll discover why those toxins are dangerous, how they enter your body, and the steps you can take to release toxins from your body.