I do a cleanse and detox twice a year, as our bodies are bombarded with toxins every day. It is important to also biohack your home as this is where we spend much time, especially with so many working from home.
Many of you are joining me on my mini detox, so I encourage you to look at any toxins in your home to level up your mental and physical health.
Toxins Don’t Just Enter The Mouth
It is key to think about what we eat and drink and what comes into contact with our skin from our environments.
Our skin is our biggest organ, and I often refer to the skin as your third kidney, as anything your body can’t process via the liver or kidneys will come out via your skin.
Your Home Microbiome
Your home is unique, and you may have noticed that households have a distinctive smell that reflects the house's unique microbiome and those living there.
Your home microbiome comes from the cleaning products you use, the number of plants you have, your pets (if any), if you spend time in the garden, if you wash all the dirt off your organic veggies or leave a little to boost your microbes. Be mindful of all these things.
A healthy home microbiome directly impacts your microbiome and, therefore, your immune system. With many taking holidays this time of the year, it is important to be wise about supporting your immune system, especially if you plan to take a flight or travel on public transport.
Habits Impact Your Immune System
Improving our immune system means knowing what we can do to regulate this fragile balance. Several environmental factors count towards your toxic load and significantly impact your immune system.
Consider the following when it comes to your immune system and environment:
- The air you breathe
- The water you drink and clean your food with
- Your hygiene habits
- Your plastic usage
- The water you wash your body with
- The clothes you wear (if they are non-organic ingredients)
- The cleaning products you use in the home
- The makeup, creams, deodorants and lotions you use on your skin
- The fabric your carpets, couches and curtains are made of
Cleanse Your Home & Microbiome
As the seasons change, it is also a great opportunity to thoroughly clean and clear out all nooks and crannies of your home, your cupboards, discarding items past their use-by date and any non-organic hygiene products and toothpaste etc.
Invest in a good home water filter, consider an air purifier, investigate potential black mould in your home and closely examine the quality of your mattress (you should ideally replace it every seven years).
Review your home layout, moving furniture around to make your space work for you. Declutter one room you can work from to create a healing and positive environment.
Internal Toxic Load (Oral)
As you think about what you eat and drink, consider the following internal toxic load drivers:
- Junk/rich/fatty foods
- GMO foods
- Hormones in our food
- Poor water and air quality
- Plastics that leak onto our foods
- Mercury amalgams
- Blackened or smoked foods
10 Ways To Reduce Your Internal Toxic Load
- Choose organic fruits and vegetables.
- Limit red meat to twice a month (all four-legged animals) and chicken once a week. Always choose organic.
- Choose good quality water filters like the ones from Therasage and drink out of glass jugs and bottles to reduce plastic exposure. Drink out of glass containers when possible.
- Choose organic foods that say non-GMO and hormone-free.
- Do a Cleanse/Detox twice yearly and choose from our Quick-Start Wellness Packs that serve your goals. Each pack has a free wellness plan to help you know what foods and lifestyle habits to embrace daily. See my blog on how to incorporate detoxes into your life easily.
- Find an excellent biological dentist to replace your mercury amalgams and fillings.
- Choose wild, not farmed, fish and always eat it with green leafy vegetables to absorb heavy metals such as mercury.
- Limit alcohol to once a week and to 2-3 drinks maximum. Red wine is best for your health, and vodka, gin, soda & fresh lemon, lime & mint is best for fat burning.
- Limit tea and coffee to one cup daily and avoid cow's milk.
- Always drink at least two litres of water daily to combat dehydration and any effects of caffeine.
External Toxic Load Drivers
As you think about what your skin comes in contact with, consider the following external toxic load drivers:
- Electronic Smog, WiFi and electromagnetic fields
- Non-organic skincare, haircare and hygiene products
- Non-stick cookware
- Toxic/mould-laden air conditioning systems
- Geopathic Stress
- Chemicals in laundry detergents, washing up liquids and cleaning products.
10 Ways To Reduce Your External Toxic Load
- Cooking: Only cook with cast iron, glass & stainless, no non-stick cookware and choose Cooking oils that have a high flash point, such as nut oils, coconut and light olive oil (that will be labelled for cooking).
Only use organic skincare, hygiene products & home cleaning/laundry products that have no harsh chemicals, PCB and Dioxins, so they are safe for you and good for the environment.
I love skincare brands like Temple Spa (TempleSpa.com) or KORA Organics – both free from PBAs, petroleum and other nasties.
Your skin is your third kidney, so a good rule is; if you can eat it, it is safe to put on your skin, so include organic nuts, coconut oils, avocado & fresh allow vera. For the home, I’m a big believer in vinegar & bicarb soda.
Opt for Natural fluoride-free toothpaste, non-aluminium deodorants & natural nail polishes. Oh, and don’t forget to give your nails a break and regularly take nail polishes off to let your nail beds breathe and detox.
Clean your fruits & vegetables properly, fill up your sink and add a cup of apple cider vinegar or 1 tbsp of bi-carb soda. Soak your produce for five minutes before drying and storing as usual.
I also love the Therasage Ozone Bubbler to remove all pesticides & parasites. Use Code REJUV to get your 10% discount.
- Get a glass jug and mix up 2-3 litres of water with one whole organic lemon – no skin and drink this over the day. See our Detox and Wellness Water recipes.
- Turn off all WiFi at night and only use the WiFi in the day when needed. The best is to retrofit and plug your laptop directly into your modem or wall socket to limit WiFi exposure. Move your mobile phone at least 3m away from your body so it doesn’t affect your melatonin/serotonin levels, as it always emits radiation.
- Oxygenate - laugh on purpose each day/ fun people & breathe on purpose each day. Five to ten big inhales per day & exhale as much as possible & do this on the grass with no shoes on.
- Choose a personal EMF protection device like Harmony Pendants. They are great for boosting your vitality, improving sleep and helping with your body’s stress response.
- Sweat to detox – Far infrared sauna every other day (get a portable one for the home) or use a dry sauna at a local health club. I recommend the Therasage FIR as it is very powerful portable, and cost-effective. Use Code REJUV to get your discount.
- Get into the sea or swim in lakes regularly, but if that is not possible, choose Magnesium/Epsom salt foot baths or actual baths 3-4 times a week to detox and reset your electrical circuits.
Get out in the garden, put your hand in the soil, fill your home with plants and play with pets if possible; this will also improve your internal and home microbiome. If you grow your own and know the soil's good quality, don’t wash all the dirt off your organic veggies!
Because a little bit of dirt will boost your microbiome, overall health, and immune system.
Get Environmental Body Insights
If you want full insight into what your body can tell you about your health and how your environment impacts your immune system – purchase the Urine Test Kit in our shop.
We will send it to you, and you complete the 10-point urine test and email us a photo of the results. Our team will review the results and advise you on how to reach your long-term wellness goals.
Know Habitual Environmental Impact in Five Minutes
You can also take our Free Wellness Quiz to see if your environmental wellness pillar is one of the top 3 pillars you need to focus on for your long-term health and wellness.
Once you take the quiz, we will send you your free Wellness Profile, including a diagram showing your score on each of the Seven Pillars of Wellness. The Wellness Profile also includes practical advice on the three wellness pillars that need your attention.